19 April 2008

Spring and New Life

The week has been busy - work, meetings, etc. But I did find time to do a couple of stained glass pieces (included in the updated slideshow). Actually, other than working at crafting, the week has been quite draining - physically, emotionally, spiritually. Spring weather is not the kindest for those of us with RA, and we have been having lots of rainy days here in Wisconsin. Spring is also the time of year when it seems we get the most cloudy days in a row...not exactly a mood lifter. Thank goodness I do immerse myself in working on stained glass because that lessens the time I notice the lack of sunshine.

Yesterday I got the news that my great aunt Grace died. She was the last of her generation in the family. There is something that smacks one right in the face when the realization comes that the younger generations just got older... Grace was my grandmother's younger sister. She had been widowed for many years and she had no children of her own. Two memories of her stick out right now. When I was a kid and visiting grandma and grandpa, sometimes we'd go over to see Grace and her husband, Immanuel. Grace had a huge garden (well to a kid it looked huge) and she always sent rhubarb home with us. The other memory was the smell of her house. It was neither sweet or unpleasant - just distinct. Grace is now reunited with her family - all together once again. Transformed into new life.

No comments: