28 February 2008

Latest Additions

Well, it took me just two days to get cracking on something more challenging in the stained glass arena. This sun catcher is just under 6 inches in diameter and has 26 pieces...a far cry from the 5-9 piece ones I had already done! Besides having so many more pieces, some of them were very tiny, which posed a challenge. But I think it turned out pretty well. Yesterday I cut out the pattern and the glass and did some of the grinding. After work today I finished the grinding and soldered it together. I'll add a chain to hang it from but that will have to wait until I get into town tomorrow or Saturday (depends on how much snow we get tonight). I plan to give this one to my daughter for her birthday next week.


1 March 2008 (an addendum):

The class is officially over but I'm still immersed (or is it obsessed?) in this stained glass craft. Last night I completed this old time coffee pot, done in a semi-opaque blue with streaks of white running though it, and purple tulips (unfortunately, when I took the picture, the sun was at the wrong angle to vividly show the colors). Could I be thinking spring??? You bet! I think it took me all of 3-4 hours to complete from cutting the glass to fusing it together using the copper foil technique. One aid to how quickly this went together was with the assistance of a wonderful little device that rolls and crimps the copper foil onto the glass pieces in the proper position in one easy step. Sure saves the frustration of getting the positioning right by hand! Think I'll give this one as a gift to one of my friends who is a master gardener.

The other night I simply got bored waiting for the snow to start and with nothing but reruns on TV, so I put together a simple apple. Off and on I will make small and simple sun catchers and save them to donate to the craft sale at our church's holiday bazaar in fall.

No comments: